I often run into issues where newer versions of IE will not work with some of the websites that our users have to access. The sites only work with IE and most only work correctly with IE8, and no amount of compatibility mode or tweaked setting will give you full functionality when trying to use newer versions. This becomes a real pain when rolling out new computers that come with IE9 and now IE10 preinstalled. You can find some info online and a lot of arguments on the best way to “roll back” to IE8. After ALOT of searching and trial and error, I finally found a Microsoft Fix it that will do it for you fast and easy. It is Microsoft Fix it 50778. Just run it and be done with it.
I’ve been upgrading a some of our Lenovo 3000 G530 laptops to Windows 7 over the last few weeks to try to get another year or two service out of them. After the OS install all the devices are detected and the drivers installed automagically with the exception of two unknown devices that show up under other devices as base system devices. After a little trial and error I discovered that these two devices were related to the memory card reader and installing the JMicron JMB38X Flash Media Controller Driver located here gets your device manager screen looking nice with no more yellow exclamation points.
I can’t believe it’s been almost a month since my last post. I’ve had several “that would make a great post!” moments, but haven’t had the time to actually post any of them. I’ve been super busy at work, swapping out old XP machines since “THE END IS NEAR!” As well as training for my first half marathon which I completed this weekend and still feeling pretty pumped about. I don’t see work letting up anytime soon, but hopefully I squeeze in a post or two here and there.