2020 Ugh………..

What a year. Virus, disaster, unrest, killer hornets. It’s been challenging to say the least. I’ve been wanting to update this blog for a long time and finally thought to see if I could still get logged in this Saturday morning while I enjoy my first cup of coffee of the day. I’ve got a few posts in mind, hopefully I can get at least some of them done while they are still somewhat relevant. Until then, stay safe.

Catching up

Well, I’ve let this blog go long enough and it’s time to get back at it. The last year has been kinda crazy and I’ve had plenty of things come up that would have made for great blog posts but never really had time to put them together. In the near future I hope to give you my thoughts on the sophos sg210 utm device. I’ve been using one for a while now and am not really crazy about it, but more on that later. I’m also moving to a new email encryption platform for google apps called virtru, and I’ll be letting you know how that’s going in the near future.

Scanned files not showing up in shared folder

We have several copiers at our office that are used for scanning documents to .pdf files, among other things. Last week we added yet another one and I configured the copier to scan the files to a department shared folder just like I’ve done many times before. When testing the new setup I would see the new scanned files in the folder from my machine, but the users in the department that it was set up for only saw an empty folder. Several minutes went by and finally one user could see the file, but the other four or so still could not. So after doing some digging I found several forum posts and Microsoft articles on the subject and a registry hack that did the trick for me. You can find the article from Microsoft here. To sum up the fix, here is what is required. Change the DWORD value for the following registry keys to 0 (zero).




And thats all there is to it.

Install IE8 on Windows 7 sp1

I often run into issues where newer versions of IE will not work with some of the websites that our users have to access. The sites only work with IE and most only work correctly with IE8, and no amount of compatibility mode or tweaked setting will give you full functionality when trying to use newer versions. This becomes a real pain when rolling out new computers that come with IE9 and now IE10 preinstalled. You can find some info online and a lot of arguments on the best way to “roll back” to IE8. After ALOT of searching and trial and error, I finally found a Microsoft Fix it that will do it for you fast and easy. It is Microsoft Fix it 50778. Just run it and be done with it.

Time Flies

I can’t believe it’s been almost a month since my last post. I’ve had several “that would make a great post!” moments, but haven’t had the time to actually post any of them. I’ve been super busy at work, swapping out old XP machines since “THE END IS NEAR!” As well as training for my first half marathon which I completed this weekend and still feeling pretty pumped about. I don’t see work letting up anytime soon, but hopefully I squeeze in a post or two here and there.

And away we go!

I’ve been kicking around the idea of starting a blog for years. Just a place to put some helpful hints and info that I’ve found while attempting to fix assorted IT related problems, and what ever else may come to mind. Don’t be surprised if there happens to be some random posts from time to time about life, running, hobbies, and even Christmas lights. Thanks for stopping by.